Things to do during the AZ summer
Whether you have kids or not, finding things to do while keeping out of the heat can become difficult. In our last post we touched on ways to keep cool during the summer. Take those suggestions when you embark on one of our recommended adventures.
We’ve put together a list of “cool” things to do during the warm Arizona summer months. We’ve tried to the list of activities free or inexpensive things, saving the pocket a little change. Some of the recommendations are specifically for those of you with children and want to keep busy, and some are just for adults.
What we love about Arizona is that it has diverse landscape. Arizona gets quite hot during the summer months, but there are many places to venture to where the weather is cooler and you are able to escape the heat. These places are more northernly located, but a drive out of the heat is an adventure.
- 1. Lava River Cave-(all ages) Just under a mile long, this lava cave was formed around 700,000 years ago. Visit Arizona’s historic past, get a little exercise and cool down in the lava cave. Lava River Cave is a great place to explore with friends, kids, and animals. It is cool, 35-45 degrees during summer and winter months. You will be traveling underground, so dress properly and brings lamps to see. Located just north of Flagstaff, it is a great place really cool down, and naturally.
- 2. Verde Valley Wineries-(adult adventure) Verde Valley located in Northern Arizona is home to the Verde Valley Wine Trail, where several local wineries sit. With a great selection of wineries and numerous tasting rooms, Verde Wine Trail offers a days worth of tasting local wines and snacks. Being they are located north of Phoenix the temperature is anywhere from 8-15 degrees cooler. There are many quaint restaurants with great food nearby.
- 3. Big Surf– (all ages) Arizona’s large waterpark and a great place to beat the heat. Big Surf is a large outdoor waterpark in Tempe, AZ. So centrally located to Scottsdale, Phoenix, and Mesa areas, it’s nearby. With waves pools, slides, games, and rides, kids will love you for talking them there…..and so will adults! Buy season passes or online to save money.
- 4. Salt River Tubing-(all ages) Rent some tubes and float down the Salt River. Whether you want tog rab friends and go or do a group tour, tubing is a blast and keeps you cool. Take an ice chest of food and refreshments and spend the day on the River. We like mid week trips which tend to have less people tubing….the crowds head to the River on the weekends.
- 5. Museums-(all ages) There are a variety of cultural, science and other museums to explore in Arizona. Keep cool in a museum and learn something new. You can get passes to bring the cost down.
- 6. Catch a Ball Game-(all ages) Check out the Diamond backs at Chase Field. Their retractable roof keeps the heat out while you enjoy the ball game.
SO although the summer months can be hot, stop the dread and find a couple “cool” things to do. There are more than what we listed. To escape the heat head up north and find some fun activities to partake in!